Monday, September 28, 2015

Under the Sea with 3D Models!

Darling it's better! Down where it's wetter!

I'm back and posting some new material! And no, it has nothing to do with the Little Mermaid. Instead, it's with one of her extremely deep sea friends. 

In 2D/3D art, we were assigned to model, sculpt, texture and set one style of fish into the Unreal Engine. This was to be done in about a weeks time, which is a lot of if you think about it. 

For my choice, I decided to go with a "bass" looking fish.

Low poly all around! I was actually pretty surprised I was able to do this relatively quickly. Only took me longer to get the Normal Maps to look clean. Which is cool, since I thought sculpting in ZBrush would have taken longer. 

Especially with how it came out. 

It has so much detail! I think I like the sculpting aspect a lot more than the modeling. Who would have thought? 

Though that's not all! Next was color mapping, and I think I had a bit too much fun with that one. 


I'm going for a fish that emits Bioluminescence in the deep ocean in order to attract either food or mates. Though usually they have blue, I enjoyed the idea of having one emit a pink-ish glow instead. That really came out when I placed it into the Unreal Engine. 



I think the fish is a little big for a deep sea critter, though it looks really neat! I just love that light glow it has, and how there is a tint of blue light in the engine. I'm really hoping I got that good feel of the deep. Which is the first time of attempting it in any engine. 


If anyone's curious, this is what I did for my fish to look alright in the engine. It looks great when I first put it in, it's even better now. xD

No comments:

Post a Comment